Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
I have been harvesting tomatoes (grape tomatoes are all I can get to grow) and cucumbers.
I want to make this soup with the leeks (okay...I don't need the leeks, but I still want to make this soup):
Thai Pork and Noodle Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 30m | Total Time: 30m
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 4 ounces wonton wrappers (about 10), sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- sliced red chili peppers and cilantro leaves, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the pork and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the broth, fish sauce, and 2 cups water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the wonton wrappers, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Serve with the scallion greens, chili peppers, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Friday, May 11, 2012
He Sits, He Crawls and he gives you his Sassy Pose!
I got to see Alex, Lauren, and Thomas last week. It was great. Thomas is a very good baby. While I was in NC, Thomas taught himself how to sit up and almost how to crawl. He already gets around pretty good, but he's a commando type crawler. I loved seeing him up on his hands and feet...he had no idea what to do next.
Is this a sweet happy boy or what!
Who does this look like!
Making a move to sit up.
This wore him out.