Monday, August 8, 2011

O'o Farm

We visited O'o farm on Thursday last week. They only do tours/lunch Monday through Thursday so when my boss told me he was taking everyone to lunch on Thursday and that I should take myself out somewhere special. I jumped on the chance. And the funny part was that because of the time difference it worked out perfectly. They all left for lunch at noon, pacific time, and Bill and I left for the tour 15 minutes later, which would have been 9:15 our time.

The tour started at 10:30, followed by lunch. Here's the link http://www.oofarm.com.

The tour consisted of walking around their 6 garden beds. They weren't all neat and trim like I expected, because evidently that isn't really necessary. One bed was an asparagus bed. Very cool. We picked some and ate them right there. The one Bill picked for me was about 3 inches long.

They use no pesticides or herbicides and are trying to get away from mechanics. I think that is going as bit too far...but whatever. The farm grows alot (not all like I previously thought) of the vegetables for their two restaurants in Lahaina. Typically these end up as specials.

But the best part of the tour had to be lunch. I even ate tofu. It was over a bed of sauteed root vegetables. Then there was a fish dish over different sauteed greens. I was to grow purslane. It was good. And supposedly very good for you. We ate outside and these big table made from crazy big slabs of wood. Very cool.

Now back to convincing Bill to finish my raised beds...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a garden party...did Bill go fishing? Geez.... Bill is retired not neutered. It must be your turn to do some manly things!!!

    ReplyDelete