Monday, August 1, 2011

The Mangoes are done



One of the most rewarding things in the world is growing your own food. I truly believe that. (and playing Angry Birds, but it's not the same....)

Well our Mangoes are done for the season. When we got in the house, early May, they were everywhere on the tree. The tree is huge, probably 60 feet tall. I did try to climb it to reach more mangoes, but I got about 15 feet off the ground and chickened out. I wasn't afraid of falling, I was afraid of hitting the ground.

Anywho, we have eaten at least one mango a day since then. Noa likes to sit on the counter and have Grandpa cut them for him. He prefers the "Huge One" but will pretty much take whatever you hand him...from the edge of the knife...cause that's how we roll.

Unfortunately about half of the mangoes fall from the tree before you can pick them or because they are too high for us to pick. Then we have to pick them off the ground. Once they hit the ground they are too bruised to eat. I don't know if they just bruise easily, are so heavy they bruise when they hit or it's all about the distance they fall...remember I said the tree was very tall.

Well Bill has taken it upon himself to pick up the mangoes. He does this in the morning, but the wind likes to pick up at around 4 or 5 pm around here and more fall. So it is sometimes my entertainment to go out back with my evening cocktail and wait for him to come outside and see the newest crop of ground mangoes. "What...there's one, two, three....seven more mangoes" It's pretty entertaining. I think he takes it personally that they fall instead of letting us pick them.

Needless to say I am looking forward to next May. BTW..I have about 6 lbs frozen waiting to make Mango somethings when Lindsey and Jake arrive next month.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jean: I think you should buy "different" kinds of fruit and spread them under the tree...before Bill starts his daily collection. It would be fun to watch Bill's reaction. I have to limit Laurie's climbing. She invariably falls....no step ladders...period. The high mangos would have to drop or rot! I am wondering if those mangos would make a hawaiin fruit martini..yeah buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be hilarious if you put other fruit under the tree... for at least a few seconds I bet Bill would wonder!
    Well, OBVIOUSLY... I finally joined so I can comment, weird that it doesn't work from work... not surprising though. Ha.
    I'm so glad you have this blog b/c I miss you so much.

    Much love to you and Bill and how about we visit in October 2012? Let me know if that's available... at the Hotel de Clayton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...we thought about you all day....hope you had a magnificient birthday! We love you Laurie, Brian, Ross, Grace and Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Babe my first blog ever. Should I send a recipe? I feel like Julie and Julia. Happy Birthday. I'm making a good old fashioned home made pizza and lovin it Laurie

    ReplyDelete